Tuesday 3 April 2012

Baskets for Hanging

Last Friday, after receiving an email inviting me to public consultation of Croydon's Old Town I found myself in a little known area of town just off of Surrey St Market known as Matthews Yard. A few balloons, flags on string and a selection of large question and answer post-it-note boards indicated I was at the right location, but as is the primary draw back of this space the paths down to it are pinch points off of Surrey St Market too narrow and over-shadowed, an issue I will come back to later.

Nonetheless I was excited to see what urban formulas were anticipated for the future both by the local planning department and the local community, and I was not to be disappointed. As is required these days I grabbed myself a black coffee, choosing not to take a saucer, and got stuck right in to deciphering the comments and suggestions from the local residents about how to improve the reputation and aesthetic of Croydon's old Town. By now I had clearly observed that I was by far the youngest attendee at the event with the remainder mostly constructed of the older generation of market stall owners and retired local residents, however this was an issue I had expected and so I committed early on in the day to extracting the most out of this situation.

A quick glance over the suggestion boards, and I had a clear indication of what I was going to be battling against, the dreaded Hanging Basket. Much loved by the older generation of almost any British town the hanging basket is a classic solution to nothing, I fully understand the appeal by which it provides colour and nature to its surrounding but that is where the improvement ends, and of course councils latch on to the idea like a mad scientist going about hanging baskets off any over-hang they can lay their hands on. In my books, and I will be brutally honest, the hanging basket is simply a filler idea for the weak and lost and an idea that is passable only in conjunction with other changes. If real progress is to be achieved it is surely by way of bolder ideas of an original nature that are both encouraged and understood, one has only to look at the work of such young practices as VisionDivision (Stockholm) and ZED Factory (London) to see the beautiful potential in urban futures.

For a cultural centre to succeed at Matthews Yard and Croydon on a wider context the local planning department and residents are going to have to accept ideas and suggestions from a younger generation who experience, fuel and understand spaces of Croydon that the older generation do not, but first they must honestly listen. Then a real connection and comprehension can be achieved, decisions can be made sensibly and contextually and ideas such as hanging baskets off of walls can be limited to a scale that is appropriate. The youth of Croydon should not be afraid to say what they believe and the older generation should not be fearful of hearing it.

tW

2 comments:

  1. What things would you do in the town Tom?

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a good question Andrew considering I have been commenting on all these spaces and architectures without really laying down what I would alter and/or apply.

    I guess in all honesty the question is impossible to answer with any justice in a comments section, but I imagine I can explain a few things that I believe should happen.

    Firstly, as I guess applies to the 'hanging basket' approach is that any tactic or direction taken to develop or alter the town needs to have equal measure of consideration and examination, too many ideas are taken up without examination of long term consequences and just as many are filed away before being honestly considered by both public and council. Scale is then the next big issue, any change or addition made to the town needs to be at a suitable scale, some absolutely have to be big changes affecting both community and urban fabric in order to be effective but not all changes need to be to this scale.

    Secondly, as to really answer your question, I guess there are two things I would really like to see applied to Croydon's urban landscape. One of the large multi-story car parks in Croydon (around 7/8 in total I believe) all structurally sound and efficient in their concrete forms would make a great conversion to a public bicycle park like that found in the Netherlands or Scandinavia, providing much needed encouragement towards cycling in the area.

    Lastly, I think local independent businesses and shops need a great deal more support from the council and public. I understand the convenience of larger supermarkets but is there really a need to have three of them within 200 meters of each other, I guess I just feel it is gradually draining the town of character and any individuality, like what happened to the record stores for example if you go back and read my blog entry regarding that situation.

    And I am done. Apologies for the long reply if you were imagining a short sharp version. What changes would you make to Croydon Andrew, are there any areas of key concern for you?

    tW

    ReplyDelete